Students may reserve a specific time slot for weekly lessons at the monthly tuition rate, regardless of the number of weeks in the month. To get the most out of their lessons and their tuition, students should attend lessons weekly and do their homework each week. If students cannot make the scheduled lesson time, we offer other options: email lessons and group make-up lessons.
We cover these and other questions in the FAQ below.
- The student emails the tutor the completed homework from the previous week.
- The tutor reads and comments on the homework.
- The tutor emails the homework comments, a new reading assignment, new vocabulary words and definitions, a grammar assignment, and an essay assignment.
- The student completes the emailed homework and brings it to the next one-to-one lesson.
- These one-hour classes are held Tuesdays at 6:30 pm and 7:30 pm, in our Sunnyvale office.
- The group consists of 1-6 students, although most sessions end up being one-to-one.
- Each session, the instructor covers a challenging reading assignment, vocabulary, grammar, and writing instruction.
- Students receive homework that they should complete and review at their next one-to-one lesson.
Group lessons are not walk-in lessons. Please make an appointment first by contacting our scheduling manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Absences: What to do
We offer email lessons and group lessons, depending on how much notice you give our office. Also, please bear in mind that you receive at least one free lesson each quarter. A missed lesson could simply count as taking a week off instead of your free lesson.
You should certainly take a lesson to avoid falling farther behind. Remember that receiving regular instruction is the key to success.
Students may continue to receive lessons via email or Skype during the weeks when they are out of town. Alternatively, upon returning, students may make up their missed sessions by participating in our group English class
If you leave and re-enroll later, it is possible that you will receive a different tutor upon your return. We fill spaces in the tutoring schedule on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For students on the monthly plan, IYE guarantees a tutoring session at the established time slot. The student will usually have the same tutor each week. However, from time to time, IYE may need to provide the student with another tutor. In those cases, the tutor will have full access to the student's records and a complete lesson plan to work with. IYE maintains the same set of high standards for all tutors.