Hi, I’m Nat Crawford, president of Improve Your English.
When I started teaching high school English, I noticed that some kids learned with ease while others struggled.
So I decided to find a way of teaching English that would work for every student, not just a few.
For four years, I worked day and night to develop this approach.
- I learned how to make English grammar relevant and easy to understand.
- I studied systems of learning vocabulary.
- I showed my students how to write the different types of essays they would encounter in high school and college.
- I helped them learn to love classic writers like William Shakespeare, Jonathan Swift, Jane Austen, and Mary Shelley.
It worked. My students made great strides in writing. And on my course evaluations, they consistently gave me very high marks. Many of my students were admitted to top schools, and some of them even wrote back to express their appreciation for my teaching.
“… you’re still the only English teacher/professor I’ve ever had who made me love what I was studying, which is different from deriving immense personal enjoyment from reading. Granted, my sample may be biased since I was a science major in college, but I stand by my statement.”
— L. A., Harvard, Class of 2009
As the owner of Improve Your English, I have had the opportunity to create a tutoring center based on these values. Every week, we challenge our students to develop reading and writing skills that they need for high school, college, and the workplace. We build self-esteem in the best way—by building skills.
Here are the benefits of choosing Improve Your English:
Your child will have a firm foundation in English grammar.
Many of our students go on to ace their composition classes.
“I was the only student in my high school English class to score 100% on a difficult grammar test. Thanks!”
–R. K., San Jose
Your child will develop a true appreciation for reading.
We work really hard to turn children into avid readers.
“This is the first reading class that my sons have not wanted to quit!”
–L. W., Palo Alto
Reading classic literature will give your child a perspective unusual among her peers.
Classics teach students how to understand humor, emotions, and inner conflict. Understanding these qualities is important in a variety of areas:
- When taking the New SAT reading section
- When writing college admissions essays
- When interviewing for internships and jobs
- For leading a rich and fulfilling life
“Thank you for being my English helper and role model for study habits, proper grammar, and for helping me understand what really matters in life. … Literature harbors the greatest goldmine for human understanding.”
— Shishir Neelakant, NYU, Class of 2017
Most importantly, your child will have an expert tutor.
- Tutor applicants must have two years of professional teaching experience
- All prospective tutors are tested for their knowledge of grammar and literature.
- Those who pass this test give a teaching demo to show that they can connect with students.
- Fewer than 5% of applicants pass our employment tests. That’s right—fewer than 5%.
- Those who pass love working here. Most of our tutors have worked for us for five years or more.
“I want to thank you for being such a wonderful English tutor. When I first came to you, I knew almost nothing about grammar and reading. However, after the past two years with you, my skills in writing and critical reading have improved drastically. You taught me how to truly read a book through analyzing and connecting words rather than simply skimming over them. You have truly made a lasting impression on me because you have taught me skills that I will be able to implement for the rest of my life.”
— M. C.
- Does your child have a B in English?
- Do you want to lay the foundation for SAT success?
- Do you want to get a head start on the increasingly challenging college application process?
Contact us. In just a few days, you’ll be working with the best English teacher you’ve ever had. We guarantee it, or your money back.